Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Big Three

After my cycle of 5/3/1 and a deload week, I decided to use this week as a test week for my One Rep Max on the Big Three - Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift.

Here's the results with a video:

Monday:
Squat - Hit 475 very easy. Almost scary-easy. Decided to attempt an even 500. It was a slow grind. Probably would've been red-lighted on depth and I blew the rear-end out of my shorts, but I got the weight up on my own strength and felt satisfied.

Previous Best at Power Lifting Meet - 445
After 5/3/1 w/ Kettlebells - 500

Wednesday:
Bench Press - Worked my way up easy and relaxed. I felt I could've hit 295 for reps. It just flew up. Threw 3 wheels on and 315 locked out no problem with a pause. 325, no dice. Needed a tiny bump from spotter to lock it out.

Previous Best at Power Lifting Meet - 292
After 5/3/1 w/ Kettlebells - 315

Thursday:
Dead Lift - Stayed relaxed during my warm up reps. Hit 515 on my last warm up and it felt heavy, but the rep was smooth and fast. Put 565 on and seemed like a quick lift, but strained hard to get it. This was an all time PR, even at about 20 pounds lighter than my pre-kettlebell body weight. Tried 585 and couldn't budge it off the ground.

Previous Best at Power Lifting Meet - 551
After 5/3/1 w/ Kettlebells - 565

Total increase in poundage: Squat - 55, Bench - 23, Dead Lift - 14, Total - 92 pounds. This would get me close to my goal of a 1400 pound raw total in the 181 pound weight class.

As the old saying goes, "don't fix it if it ain't broke." I think I'll keep at it with this program starting next week and see where this one will take me.

Here's a vid of the pull from today:

No comments: