Thursday, January 14, 2010

HKC Reminder!

First, I'd like to get the business out of the way.

The first Texas HKC with Jeff O'Connor, Senior RKC is closing in. There's not much time left to register, so head on over to the link if you're going to be in or near Lubbock, Texas on the 23rd of January. Here's a link to the flyer for you to download.

Now the fun stuff.

I have been training for the upcoming Raw Unity Meet in Tampa Bay, Florida on January 30. I'm entered in the Deadlift Only portion of the meet and proudly representing the RKC community on the Power To The People Deadlift Team.

Since my last meet, I've modified a few things in my training that I feel were left out in my last training cycles and I think it's been working.

This week is 3 weeks away from the meet so I'm trying to figure the best way to peak my deadlift for the meet. Monday I pulled 3 sets of 3 at 95% of my 1RM (535 lbs). I pulled off of plates so my feet were elevated...without a belt. The reps felt easy, which means something is working.

After my session today, I also tried out my double overhand grip for my pulls since I was pulling a little lighter at 80%. I usually pull with this grip until I can't hold on any more, but I've progressively been able to increase the weight before I switch to my stronger alternating grip.

Here's a video of a PR pull (470 lbs) with a double overhand grip (not to be confused with a hook grip).



Not too long ago, I struggled with 315 lbs in this grip.

I also hit a big PR with the Double Bottoms Up Press and knocked down Double 32kgs! This has been a long-time coming, but I believe this exercise and the deadlift are distant cousins and have complimented each other very well during the last 10 weeks. The BUP with a 40kg is consistent on my right and I haven't hit it with my left yet. I need a 44kg because I'm not even close on The Beast.

All in all, a great session and training is going great! I was really worried after I got food poisoning on New Year's, but I guess my body welcomed the break. Plus, I don't have to cut hardly any weight now. ;-) I'm sitting at a healthy and strong 184. I'll lift in the 181 class in Tampa.

More to come on this training cycle. I've had quite a few A-Ha moments worth mentioning, but I want to wait til after the meet to elaborate.

No comments: