Sunday, October 19, 2008

RKC - Assistant Instructor

This post is a bit belated, but this last week has been anything but normal. I'll try to do my best to recount the weekend and experience 'cause I'm still coming down from the "high" of it all. If you've ever been to an RKC event, you know what I mean.



Rather than give a minute-by-minute accounting, I'll just piece together things that are on my mind about the experience as I write about them.



You can not put a price tag or come close to estimating the value of being close to the best trainers in the world. If you've ever felt like you don't fit in because of the way you train, eat or live your life, the RKC just reaffirms the fact that there are others out there who "get it." Just being around other instructors and teaching aspiring instructors that feel the same way is priceless.



Dave Whitley's (Senior RKC) grip strength is really taking off. If you get a chance, have him tear something up in front of you and then you try it. It'll humble you in a hurry. He's one strong dude!



I was on Team Ron Morris (RKC - Team Leader) with another assistant instructor, Jason Wood, RKC. Our team came in and started a little rough around the edges, but the transformation that was made, the progress that we witnessed was unbelievable. Congrats and huge thanks goes out to all of Team Morris and I wish you all the best!

This post would not be complete if I didn't say a huge thank you to Pavel, our Chief Instructor, Master RKC, Brett Jones, the Senior RKC's: Dave Whitley and Jeff O'Connor, RKC Team Leader, Ron Morris and all the Assistant Instructors. I'd also like to thank and congratulate the Dragon Door staff for making the cert so seamless and memorable!



I'm becoming more aware that some of the best times of an RKC event are Sunday night after grad workouts where everyone can celebrate their accomplishments. This cert was no different with good food, drinks, conversation and entertainment, courtesy of many "Hold My Beer/Purse And Watch This" moments.



This cert was special because I was invited by Fawn Friday, RKC to check out her gym and talk shop before my plane headed out. Fawn is amazingly strong and can do stuff most of my male students can't do. It was truly an honor and a pleasure to hang out with Fawn and I would encourage those of you in the St Paul/Minneapolis area to do the same.

All in all, assisting at an RKC event can't be explained, just experienced. I would do it again in a heartbeat and hope to have the opportunity to do so in the near future.

6 comments:

Carl Sipes said...

Sounds very cool! Congrats again.

Franklin said...

Great write up! I'm sure Team Morris was very appreciative of your knowledge, strength and humility .. I certainly was when I met you at the CK-FMS.

And yes, Fawn and Aaron Friday are two to nicest and strongest couple I know!

Franz Snideman said...

Jason,

Sounds like it was as life changing as taking the RKC for the first time!

It is both fun and educating to be on the other side of the cert....but both are amazing!

Jason Marshall said...

Carl,
It was unreal! Thanks for the kudos!

Franklin,

Thanks for the compliments! We had a great Team and it was awesome to see them come together the way they did! Very Inspirational. Fawn and Aaron are great! I'm gonna have to make time to visit every time I'm up there!

Franz,

Life changing is about right! I think it was even better than the RKC first-time experience. There's just so much more you pick up on when you're not physically exhausted. I couldn't have asked for better!

fawn said...

Hey Jason! Thanks for the kind words! Aaron wore your Lone Star Kettlebells T-Shirt to my class on Monday... all of my students commented on what a cool design it is. Thanks again for hanging out, it was a lot of fun.

Jason Marshall said...

That's awesome, Fawn! Tell Aaron thanks for the pub in St Paul!