Monday, November 24, 2008

Last Week's Training and My Impressions of The Warrior Diet

Last Sunday I made the decision to REALLY clean up my eating habits. Not just some of the time. Not just the weekdays. Not just breakfast and lunch. ALL THE TIME! So, I gravitated towards The Warrior Diet (WD) and began last Monday morning.

For those that don't know, WD is a way of life, not just a diet. It's a way to harness your innate survival skills and take control of your life. Within one week I've been able to break many of my old bad habits and get started on a nutritional plan that really works great for anyone willing to put forth the effort.

WD Positives

I LOVE being able to "feast" at night after I'm done training. Before WD, I was never really that hungry when I went home and consistently missed the ever-important post-workout meal.

I am no longer a slave to food. I now make food work for me and benefit me the way I want it to.

I am sharper during the day. Have more energy. Sleep better at night.

I want to eat "Good," "Healthy," "Nutritious" food at night during my feast. I no-longer crave the junk food at fast food joints on my way home. I want fuel and I want the best there is to offer. Not something that's only going to stay with me for a few hours.

WD Negatives

It's a little mental at first. Hunger will definitely play with your mind. Good thing the WD allows for mid-day snacks. Thank you almonds!

I flopped twice last week. Both times at work when we had company-prepared meals. I just didn't have the guts to not get a plate.


To sum up, WD seems to be an awesome way to eat and live...FOR ME! It may not be for you, but so far this is working great and I haven't felt this good about a nutrition plan in quite a while. I've been in compliance everyday (8 days now) with exception to the 2 meals at work last week (which really weren't that bad), but I still cheated. The holidays may put an even tougher dose of peer pressure on me, but I'll try to gut it out.


Training

I hit some PR's last week, mostly with bending - Refer to my previous post. I tried my snatch test on Thursday instead of hitting Vo2 Max due to time and I hit 100 reps w/ 24kg in 3:46. I don't think I've ever timed 100 reps before, but it felt good and there is some room for improvement.

I also hit an old school workout with one of my clients...All Barbell. Bench Press, Bent Rows, Dips, Straight Bar Curls, Pull Ups and Abs...of course. I was sore as a dog after this. The old hypertrophy days awakened the DOMS demons, but it was cool to do something old fashioned.

This week may be more of a lay off week to coincide with Thanksgiving. Probably GTG stuff and some more bending.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday! I know I'm going to be looking forward to Thanksgiving supper! ;-)

No comments: