Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Great Link And Feelin' Good!

First off I'd like to share a link to a song that was forwarded to me via email today: Before You Go This was written and dedicated as a small token of appreciation for the aging veteran population that have fought and died in this country's greatest wars. Please go to the link and forward it to those you know. Think of what our lives would be like if these heroes had not selflessly given of themselves to preserve our way of life. Everyone of us is or has been touched and influenced by the military in some way, whether it be a grandparent or parent, wife or husband, sister or brother, aunt or uncle, cousin or friend. Thanks to all of you for what you have done and what you continue to do!!!

===================================================

I've been feeling really good the last few days. Sleeping well. Eating well. Training well. By falling asleep on my back, I've drastically reduced the amount of pain I was experiencing in my shoulders. I've also taken the last few weeks to back off any heavy over head work other than isometrics or BUP (which have all been light). The new sleeping habits combined with a mindful work ethic has really paid good dividends.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Corrective Work

Elevated Conventional Dead Lift - Standing on 45# Plates
225 - 5x5

Grip Work
COC - Trainer, #1, #2
Ripped a 2" Phone Book
Bent a Yellow Nail - Double Overhand

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Corrective Work

The Following Circuit For 20 Minutes (Total Reps for the whole workout in parentheses):
Pull Up - 12kg on foot - x3 (24)
Push Up - x5 (40)
Dead Lift - 245lbs. - x3 (24)
KB Front Squat - Double 20kg - x5 (40)
Renegade Row - Double 20kg - x3/3 (24/24)
Tire Sledge Hammer Slams - 20lb Sledge - x5/5 (40/40)

Hit 8 Rounds Right At The 20 Minute Mark.

Vo2 Max Base Line Test - 16kg
Minute 1 - 8
Minute 2 - 12
Minute 3 - 15
Minute 4 - 20
Minute 5 - 30 (30/4 = 7.5)
Round up to 8 reps for future Vo2 Max Sets.

This felt really nice on the shoulders. The perfect load with the perfect range of motion for the perfect amount of time!

Then...goofed around with some hurdle jumps and broad jumps. I hit 9 feet exactly (108 inches or 274 cm) on the broad jump. I don't know if that's good, but it's fun to do!

3 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Grip Work
COC - Trainer, #1, #2
Ripped a 2" Phone Book
Bent a Yellow Nail - Double Overhand

Nice Jason. I just started using my COC for the first time . The 1 is pretty tough for me, in fact I couldn't close it with my left hand at all. Now after using the T for a month, I can close it convincingly on left side now. Right is no problem

Phone book huh? Sweet!

One of my goals for the next year is to bring up my grip strength, a definite weak link!

Be well!

Jason Marshall said...

Thanks Franz! I can close the #2 on the right, but I'm about 1/4 inch away on the left. The phone book has been a nice stress reliever! For me, grip = good dead lift. If my grip stays ahead of my dead lift, I'm in good shape.

Franklin said...

Wow, closing the #2 is very impressive!

I had followed Franz's method with the COC T and used to be able to close the #1 with both. Unfortunately my right elbow issue out rules any grip training for the time being.

Good luck at the TSC!!